Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Listen to the Inner Voice

She stood in the meridian, her thick, recently washed blonde hair reflecting the late afternoon sunlight. One hip was several inches higher than the other, causing her to limp when she moved. Her sign read "Please help-- Money or even a smile" I was two lanes over and the light was green. I was on my way to a meeting, but my Inner Voice was saying, "help her." Another voice interrupted saying "Hey, don't be late for the meeting." The feeling to help was persistent.

I felt compelled to loop around and give her $ 5.  It wasn't the same as feeling compelled to eat a piece a chocolate or one more chip from a bag. In those instances I know that if I don't eat the chocolate or the chip, I will feel good about it later. I knew that if I didn't stop and help, I would feel regret, for days. I knew, because there have been times when I didn't listen.

So, I stopped, not because I wanted to be compassionate or good or even feel good about myself. I stopped because for some reason, I couldn't not stop. I timed it so I was there when the light turned red. I called to her. She smiled, showing off a gap in her teeth where one of their members used to reside. She carried herself with dignity. I couldn't find a $5 bill so I gave her the $10 bill that I had, a good word, and a smile. She thanked me and blessed me. When I drove a way I felt complete.

Spiritual Intelligence is listening to the Inner Voice and following where It leads you, rather than listening to the many voices of the ego. How do you know the difference?  It feels different. It feels right.  It creates synchronicity. For a moment two people connected, saw each other, and went on with their lives. We gave something to each other. Real giving and receiving are the same thing.  

William Frank Diedrich  author of The Road Home: The Journey Beyond The Spiritual Quick Fix,  found at http://intelligentspirit.com/catalog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment